Thursday, April 8, 2010

my reply

in response to another's remorse:

I'd have to say that life isn't much to boast in regardless of how "successful" you are or "how far you've gotten" in life. This life has nothing to offer us. Not really. I mean, yeah there are the simple joys and thrills that keep us from boredom. But God has given us all a purpose beyond those shallow things.

As I was reading through Ezekiel in my devotional time the other day I really realized something that I never had understood before. Bear with my as I unbury these thoughts... 

Son of man, how is the wood of the vine better than any other wood, the vine branch which is among the trees of the forest? Is wood taken from it to make any object? Or can men make a peg from it to hang any vessel on? Instead, it is thrown into the fire for fuel; the fire devours both ends of it, and its middle is burned. Is it useful for any work? Indeed, when it was whole, no object could be made from it. How much less will it be useful for any work when the fire has devoured it, and it is burned?                                  15:2-5
 Now to get the context here, God is speaking to Ezekiel concerning Israel. Israel is God's chosen nation. His beloved. He was compassionate and gave them life, beauty, he cleansed, made famous, and called them His own. So if God's choice nation, being the vine branch, is good for nothing, then where is the hope?

Our purpose in life is to use what we have been given to glorify God. Israel used all the beauty and royalty that God gave her to turn against Him. She became a harlot of harlots. She blasphemed the name of the Lord every day.

We truly are good for nothing. Without God. Without utilizing the lives He has given us to glorify Him.

I once heard that Glory is when something is in its state of greatest and perfect potential and purpose.

We can get in reveries of feeling like that vine wood. We fail at everything. We don't function properly. We have no reason to be used. But unlike Israel, we need to be who He has made us [beautiful]; not to serve ourselves, but the Creator.

Note that the wood of the vine is good: because God chose it to be; that He be glorified.


Do not be afraid for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west.  I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’ and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back!’  Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth – everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.   Isaiah 43: 5-7 
                     [God speaking to Israel]

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God
                         I Corinthians 10:31 
 
                  


P.S. and if we don't glorify God; yes, the fire will devour us........

No comments:

Post a Comment